These are links to resources and resources that help explain the situation, offer news and analysis, or describe the activities of our coalition.
- FAQ from the sponsors of the Park51 Community Center about their aims and goals.
- FAQ from the Cordoba Initiative, a nonprofit that has provided leadership for the Park 51 Community Center.http://www.cordobainitiative.org/?q=content/frequently-asked-questions
News Articles and Analysis
- Our view on Ground Zero hysteria: Fear and innuendo drive opposition to NYC ‘mosque’. From USA Today.
- Ground Zero: Its Boundaries Are Elastic. Clyde Haberman, New York Times.
“If this ugly fight is not about religious freedom, as the center’s opponents assert, if it is instead a question of honoring the dead and showing respect for the families of those murdered by Islamist fanatics on 9/11, how far from the World Trade Center site might Park51 be built to keep everyone reasonably satisfied?”
- Proposed Muslim Center Draws Opposing Protests. Michael Grynbaum, New York Times.
“Mr. Rose, 27, carried a handwritten sign in favor of the mosque — “Religious tolerance is what makes America great,” it read — and his presence caused a stir. An argument broke out, punctuated by angry fingers pointed in the student’s face.”
- Richard Cohen, Daily News: “If, on the other hand, you do not believe that the attack was launched by an entire religion, then you have a moral duty to support the creation of the Islamic center. Lots of people fall into this category – or say they do – and still protest the mosque.”
- 8/12 – Defeat mosque demagogues: Why aren’t they bothered by the nearby stripclub?
- 8/12 – Mayor’s Stance on Muslim Center Has Deep Roots
- 8/7 – Across Nation, Mosque Projects Meet Opposition
- 8/5 – Jewish activists support Ground Zero mosque
- 8/5 – What a Mosque Says About New York [discussion from Paul Berman, Nikil Saval, Kimberley Johnson, Mike Wallace]
- 8/3 – J Street: Mosque Like 92nd Street Y | The New York Observer
- 8/3 – A Monument to Tolerance
- 8/3 – Mosque Plan Clears Hurdle in New York
- 8/3 – GOP leaders join the hate: Gingrich and Palin attack Ground Zero ‘mosque’ with no regard for facts
- 7/27 – Tennessee Official Says Islam May Be a ‘Cult’
- 7/27 – Jewish Week: A Mosque Near Ground Zero
- 7/26 – In Islamic Center Fight, Lessons in Prepositions and Fear-Mongering
- 7/23 – Islam has long history downtown: Why the ‘Ground Zero mosque’ belongs in lower Manhattan
- 7/23 – It’s only the Constitution: Paladino would trample basic rights to block mosque
- 7/23 – My Take: No conservatism in Gingrich’s attack on the ground zero mosque
- 7/20 – A Mosque Maligned – Opinionator Blog – NYTimes.com
- 7/19 – Sarah Palin uses Twitter to criticize Ground Zero mosque, gets slammed for poor grammar
- 7/15 – Mosque mania: TV ad attack on center near Ground Zero defames all Muslims
- 7/13 – Ground Zero for GOP intolerance: Lazio and Paladino demagogue the WTC ‘mosque’
- 7/10 – Gubernatorial candidate Rick Lazio slapped by union: Don’t you use memory of 9/11 in bid to be gov
- 6/18 – A Marine, a Mosque, a Question
- 6/10 – Staten Island: Heated Opposition to a Proposed Mosque
- 5/26 – Vote Endorses Muslim Center Near Ground Zero
- 5/23 – Fringe Tea Partiers toss American ideals overboard
- 5/23 – Welcome a mosque near sacred ground: A Jew, Catholic and Muslim say we must support the center
- 5/22 – Imam building Islamic center near Ground Zero urges worshippers to fight against backlash with peace
- 5/21 – Mosque hysteria: All houses of worship are welcome everywhere in New York
- 5/19 – Tea Party leader Mark Williams says Muslims worship a ‘monkey god’, blasts Ground Zero mosque